The beginning of a new year is the perfect time for goal setting. Below are 8 power tips to help you have an amazing new year.
1. Look back. To get started on your goals first complete a year in review. What was amazing? Not so amazing? What worked well? What sucked? What did you achieve? Got any unfinished business?
2. Get clear. Goals set the direction for your life and ultimately help create momentum and success. Consider goals in these areas: health and wellbeing, finance, relationships, romance, career, self development/learning and fun/recreation. Don’t forget to get clear on how you want to feel too. Check out Danielle Laporte’s amazing “Desire Map”, which is described as the guide to creating goals with soul.
3. Have some fun. Articulate your goals in a compelling and positive way. Perhaps you could set a theme for 2016, mine is The Year of Fun (the one prior was The year of getting sh#t done). Or choose one word. How about a motivational theme song for 2016? Choose a song that gets you to your feet doing a happy dance and completely revved up.
4. You might like to document your goals in written form in a sparkling new journal (although any old piece of paper will do). If you’re a visual person perhaps bring them to life through imagery on a pin board (aka a vision board) or you could record them as a voice memo on your phone. Make your goals alluring by couching them in positive language – they should not feel like a rod for your back. Revisit them often.
5. Chunk it down. Some goals will be big and hairy others more bite sized. Goals generally need to be chunked down into small actionable steps. This helps create a plan but also will help you get motivated to begin. Try documenting your action items in a 90-day plan.
A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
6. Begin. It all comes down to this. If you find you are procrastinating or feeling unmotivated, consider your goals. Do they light you up? Is your action plan realistic and yes… enjoyable? Do you have the support you need? For instance, if you’re struggling to stick to an exercise program, experiment with different forms of exercise until you find something that works for you. Try exercising first thing in the morning before you have a chance to overthink it. And then consider point 6 below.
Handy hint: Check out Caroline Buchanan’s “The 15 Minute Rule – how to stop procrastinating and take control of your life”. This book contains an interesting theory that “willpower is a myth” and that determination comes from a settled decision. Its premise is that you can do anything by following a 15-minute rule.
7. Be accountable. Team up with a friend to achieve your goals. Join a program with a community or work with a coach. Having 3rd party accountability makes all the difference. There is nothing like an exercise date with a friend to get you out of bed at 6am or having to report back to a coach about your progress to get you ticking things off your to do list. If you’re looking for inspiration and motivation around healthy living join the OMG Summer Collective. Being part of this supportive community will make a huge difference to your life. See you there.
8. Celebrate. Acknowledge your achievements. Do this along the way and don’t just reserve it for the end of a project, instead create mini milestones. Be mindful of your self-talk – be forgiving and kind to yourself. None us of are perfect. As we forge into new areas of life beyond our comfort zone, it is normal to feel challenged and sometimes not hit the mark. Try again (but perhaps in a different way).
PS The beginning of a new year is a wonderful time to reflect and set your intentions. But any time is the right time to make a change in your life or begin again. You can do it at the start of a new week, a new day or simply after a deep breath. There is no time like the present.
Know someone who could do with some handy hints for an amazing 2016? Feel free to like/share/and tag them in this post.
Life and business coach Felicity Watson will be on hand as OMG Summer Collective goal-setting expert to help you set realistic goals for the year and give you step by step guidance to put strategies in place to make sure your New Year’s resolutions don’t fall to the wayside. Felicity firmly believes in the importance of creating goals that you feel compelled to achieve, forward momentum and lashings of unconditional support. Plus some laughter and home truths thrown in for good measure. Click her to find out more about the Summer Collective and join the crew.