OMG resident fitness expert Tom Allwright – ProSport Fitness Director and former AFL footballers, shares his tips for getting your fitness routine on track this year.
1. Set an exercise goal for 2016 – use SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time). No matter how big or small your goal is, it needs to be something which challenges you and keeps you honest. Write it down on a piece of paper and what you need to do to achieve it, store it somewhere you can keep coming back to.
2. Routine – getting back in to routine can be difficult, especially after an indulgent festive season. January and February are often full of festivities too, including BBQ’s and drinks, but don’t let this get in the way of your morning rituals or afternoon endorphins. Plan your schedule around this because there is no better feeling than being fit, active and healthy.
3. Grab a training buddy – there is no escaping if you can trap someone into achieving your fitness goals with you. It keeps you honest when the alarm goes off and makes you get out of bed.
4. Shop after exercise – What your supermarket trolley looks like often depends on your state of mind. Post exercise your body releases excess endorphins, making you happy and healthy, meaning your more likely to choose the healthier option.
5. Everything in moderation – Unless you’re a full time athlete with a strict diet and no alcohol policy, life is for living. Being healthy does not mean you have to be 100% clean, lean and green. It is okay to splurge here and there. Try using the 80/20 rule, 80% good and 20% cheeky.
If you’d love to be kept in the loop on the hottest fitness trends in Melbourne, Sydney and beyond sign up to our e-newsletter for your fortnightly dose of (Oh My) Goodness – no spam, no information sharing, we promise.