This make-your-mouth water creation by Amy Crawford of The Holistic Ingredient need not be confined to breakfast. Amy suggests sprinkling it on poached fruit for dessert (ready made crumble!), with yoghurt for a morning or afternoon treat, or straight from the jar.
This recipe is from her new e-book ‘A Nourishing Morning’, which is jam packed with 75 deliciously healthy recipes for anytime before noon – click here for your chance to win a copy.
Makes 6-8 cups
You will need:
2 cups puffed brown rice
1 cup raw mixed nuts of choice, coarsely chopped
3⁄4 cup dehydrated mango/banana/pineapple, chopped
1⁄2 cup puffed amaranth
1⁄2 cup quinoa flakes
1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1⁄4 cup mixed seeds of choice
1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 110 degrees C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Leaving the spices and dried fruit aside, combine all dry ingredients in a large
3. In a small saucepan over low heat combine the spices, vanilla, maple syrup, coconut sugar and coconut oil until the coconut sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients. Use both hands to combine.
4. Spread the mixture evenly across the baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring the mixture at intervals to ensure even cooking.
5. Remove from oven, allow to cool then add dried fruit. Store in airtight container for maximum crunch.
Get your copy of ‘A Nourishing Morning’ here