I don’t know an Aussie or Kiwi who doesn’t love an ANZAC biscuit, particularly on ANZAC day when we stop to remember those who served and lost their lives at war.
This is a pretty sensational tasting whole foods twist on this much loved biscuit. I’ve used quinoa flakes and almond meal in place of flour, both are a great source of protein and fibre. I assure you these biscuits taste just as good, if not better than, the traditional version.
You will need
For the biscuits:
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
3 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch bicarb soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 tbs warm water
For the ice cream:
2 frozen bananas
200ml coconut milk
What to do
1. Preheat oven to 130 degrees Celsius
2. Combine quinoa flakes, desiccated coconut and almond meal in a mixing bowl.
3. Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat, add rice malt syrup, vanilla extract.
4. Combine bicarb soda and warm water, add to saucepan and stir until the mixture foams. Remove from heat and mix with dry ingredients.
5. Spoon mixture into small round balls on lined baking tray, flatten into shape of a biscuit, Bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
5. Put frozen banana and coconut milk in a food processor and whiz until soft and creamy.
6. Scoop ice cream mixture onto biscuits and make the most delicious sandwiches you’ve ever tasted. Don’t worry if you make a mess, that’s half the fun!
Makes approximately 8-10 biscuits / 4-5 ice cream sandwiches.